Category Archives: Criminology Theory
What is Social Construction?
Ironies of Social Control
Gary T. Marx
Escalation: Five elements High-speed Chases
Covert Facilitation – “Lawful Entrapment”
The “Discovery” of Child Abuse
Stephen J. Pfohl
The “House of Refuge” Movement
The Juvenile Court and the Continued Shadow of Abuse
The Discovery: An Opportunity for Advancement within the Medical Community
The Shape of Social Reaction
Criminology, Deviance, and Justice Links
American Society of Criminology – ASC information, including links to ASC division. Includes another good link list.
ACJS – Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences – ACJS information and a very good list of links.
NCJRS – Justice Information Center – Lots of criminal justice information. NCJRS is a collection of clearinghouses supporting all bureaus of the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs: the National Institute of Justice, the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the Bureau of Justice Assistance, and the Office for Victims of Crime. It also supports the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
ACLU – American Civil Liberties Union – Good alternate source for criminal justice information.
Criminology Today – Commercial site for Frank Schmalleger’s introductory criminology textbook. Well done site (couldn’t we all use some of Prentice-Hall’s money) with wide range of information.
SocioRealm — Criminology on the WWW – Nice site, complete with soundtrack. Unlike many sites, the author of this site recognizes the difference between criminology and criminal justice.
A Different Look At DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education)
Very Crazy Productions! – More weird stuff. Remember, deviance can be fun too!
Cultronix – This is a very interesting site. Not a link list, but I wanted to bring this site to your attention. This site illustrates the potential for internet publishing. Issue two has a few deviance related articles. Each of the issues examines, and causes the reader to question, “normal.”
COPS – Catchy theme song!
From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death. For more than 20 years I have endeavored–indeed, I have struggled–along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural and substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor. Rather than continue to coddle the Court’s delusion that the desired level of fairness has been achieved and the need for regulation eviscerated, I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed. It is virtually self evident to me now that no combination of procedural rules or substantive regulations ever can save the death penalty from its inherent constitutional deficiencies.
Justice Blackmun dissent, Callins v. Collins, 510 U.S. 1141 (1994)
Death Penalty Links
Death Penalty Advocacy: http://justicepolicy.com/deathpen/
Death Penalty Information Center: www.deathpenaltyinfo.org
Death Penalty Laws: http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/death_penalty.html
Death Penalty Quiz: http://www.patweb.com/dpquiz/index.htm
Frontline – Angel on Death Row: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/angel/
Frontline Requiem for Frank Lee Smith: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/smith/
Human Rights and Death Penalty: http://www.derechos.org/dp/
Learning Abouth the Death Penalty: http://justicepolicy.com/dp/
Paul’s Justice Page Death Penalty: http://paulsjusticepage.com/cjethics/5-penology/deathpenalty.htm
Restorative Justice and Peacemaking/Humanist Criminology
Restorative Justice and Peacemaking Links
- Center for Restorative Justice and Peacemaking: http://ssw.che.umn.edu/rjp/
- cjstudents.com Restorative Justice: http://cjstudents.com/restorative_justice.htm
- Community Justice: http://www.communityjustice.org/
- International Forgiveness Institute: http://www.forgiveness-institute.org/
- RealJustice: http://www.realjustice.org/
- RestorativeJustice.org: http://www.restorativejustice.org/
- Victim-Offender Reconciliation Program: http://www.vorp.com/
- Victim-Offender Reconciliation Program (VORP) Information and Resource Center – Information in Victim Offender Mediation. Include links to other sites.
- Vera Institute of Justice – Trying to return “Justice” to “Criminal Justice.” Includes a good list of Criminal Justice Internet Sites.
- CERJ – Campaign for Equity-Restorative Justice – Good site for restorative justice information. Includes a list of links to other justice reform, peacemaking, and restorative justice sites.
- Dear Habermas – Jeanne Curran and Susan Takata have worked for several years on this “Journal of Postmodern and Critical Thought.” Check the site map for an idea of what is available. The Postmodern Theory and Public Discourse page provide many good links.
- P M C – Web-based journal on postmodern culture. Includes a variety of article, occasionally in areas of crime and deviance.
- TechnoCulture – This site provides links to many postmodern views. While it appears that the site has been inactive for some time, many interesting article remain. Full range of issues, some crime and deviance, especially as related to internet and technology.
- Cultural Studies and Critical Theory – Collection of web-based material includes a list of essays related to Postmodern Theory
- Illuminations: The Critical Theory Website – A web-based “research resource for those interested in the Critical Theory project. Firmly based in Frankfurt School thought, this site maintains a collection of articles, excerpts, and chapters from many contemporary writers of and about Critical Theory.” This site includes a very good list of links.
- Cultural Studies and Critical Theory – Great collection of critical essays, all available online.
- CTHEORY – “An international journal of theory, technology and culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews in contemporary discourse are published weekly as well as theorisations of major “event-scenes” in the mediascape.”
- Critical Theory and Qualitative Research – Site includes essays and links. This site is a good example of a class project that resulted in a well done and informative web site.
- Critical Theory web resources – Good list of links.
- Critical Theory – Links and bibliography.
- Crime Victims for a Just Society: http://www.crimevictims.net/
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies: http://www.istss.org
- International Victimology: http://www.victimology.nl/
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving: http://www.madd.org/
- National Center for Victims of Crime: http://www.ncvc.org/
- National Crime Victimization Survey
- National Organization for Victim Assistance: http://www.try-nova.org/
- National Victim Assistance Academy: http://www.nvaa.org/
- Office for Victims of Crime (OVC): http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/
- Victim Assistance Online: http://www.vaonline.org/