Critcrim.org and the Critical Criminology Facebook page are each intended to assist those learning about critical perspectives on crime and justice. These perspectives include original essays, books, video, news, and other information of interest. News articles are shared to encourage readers interested in gaining accurate views of crime and justice. Video posts are also included to help visitors learn about key critical criminology topics.
"Critical Criminology" is a theoretical framework for those interested in critical examinations of law, crime, and justice. American Society of Criminology divisions that adopt a critical perspective include Critical Criminology, People of Color & Crime, Victimology, and Women & Crime. Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences sections include Critical Criminal Justice, Minorities and Women, Restorative and Community Justice, and Victimology. Critical views on crime and justice are also shared by Cultural Criminology, Green Criminology, Convict Criminology, Rural Criminology, Vegan Criminology, Queer Criminology, and others with narrowed focus and/or alternate perspectives. This site attempts to highlight the work of these groups and more, with an emphasis on shared perspectives and goals.
- Critical Perspectives
- Reading Room
- Hal Pepinsky: “A Criminologist’s Quest for Peace”
- Hal Pepinsky: “Crime and Conflict”
- Hal Pepinsky: “Peacemaking: Reflections of a Radical Criminologist”
- Herman & Julia Schwendinger: “BIG BROTHER is LOOKING at YOU, KID! Is Homeland Fascism Possible?”
- Little Rock Reed: “The American Indian in the White Man’s Prisons: A Story of Genocide”
- Pepinsky and Jesilow: “Myths That Cause Crime”
Recent Facebook Posts
Problem displaying Facebook posts. Backup cache in use.
Click to show error
Bookstore income has the potential to defray costs associated with hosting this site - yet this has never been the case. Feel free to browse a variety of critical criminology books.
- The House of the Dead: Siberian Exile Under the Tsars
- Progressive Punishment: Job Loss, Jail Growth, and the Neoliberal Logic of Carceral Expansion (Alternative Criminology)
- Big House on the Prairie: Rise of the Rural Ghetto and Prison Proliferation
- Queer Sex Work $54.95
- Intimate Economies of Immigration Detention: Critical perspectives (Routledge Frontiers of Political Economy)
- Psychology and Law: A Critical Introduction
- The Social Psychology of Procedural Justice (Critical Issues in Social Justice)
- The Ethics of Proportionate Punishment: A Critical Investigation (Library of Ethics and Applied Philosophy)
- Criminal Justice Theory: Explaining the Nature and Behavior of Criminal Justice (Criminology and Justice Studies) $54.95
- The Routledge International Handbook of the Crimes of the Powerful (Routledge International Handbooks)
- The Prison and the Gallows: The Politics of Mass Incarceration in America (Cambridge Studies in Criminology)
- Incarcerating the Crisis: Freedom Struggles and the Rise of the Neoliberal State (American Crossroads)
- Comic Book Crime: Truth, Justice, and the American Way (Alternative Criminology) $26.00
- An Introduction to Green Criminology and Environmental Justice
- Violence, Society and Radical Theory: Bataille, Baudrillard and Contemporary Society (Classical and Contemporary Social Theory)
- C. Wright Mills and the Criminological Imagination: Prospects for Creative Inquiry (Classical and Contemporary Social Theory)
- Youth Criminal Justice Policy in Canada: A Critical Introduction (SpringerBriefs in Criminology)
- Policing the Crisis: Mugging, the State, and Law and Order (Critical Social Studies) $59.99